Mousepads are one of the essential parts for computers, but usually, they got the least attention from the users. The pads are typically low maintenance, and yet regular cleaning is needed to keep its longevity. That becomes the question, how to clean mousepad correctly?
Most pads are basically washable so you can easily throw them in the washing machine, except the hard one. But knowing the specific treatment required for specific materials is much recommended to keep the pad in their best condition. Check out the following tips and tricks for cleaning a mousepad at home.
Table of Contents
How To Clean A Gaming Mousepad
Gaming mousepads are commonly durable and well-made to handle extended gaming activity. However, this cannot prevent the mouse mat from getting dirty. For this reason, you need to schedule regular cleaning for the gaming pad, including the RGB mousepad.
The easiest method to clean the mat is by doing DIY labor. This cleaning procedure is quite easy since you only need simple tools and materials to prepare such as warm water, toothbrush, dish soap, and a sponge.
Please note that the following method is not for wired or pad.
- Fill a half bucket with warm water, squirt a few dish soap.
- Soak the pad into the bucket.
- Rub gently on the mousepad surface with a sponge and brush it with a toothbrush.
- Rinse until the suds and soap well-removed.
- Let air dry.
This cleaning method works best for any mousepad fabrics without damaging it. Instead of throwing the mat into a washing machine, this procedure is much safer.
Clean Cloth Mousepad
Cloth mousepad isn’t like rubber or plastic mats which can be cleaned with damp cloth. Fabric or cloth pads are trickier to clean and require a little bit more effort. Unfortunately, it can catch debris, grease, and grime easily so frequent cleaning is needed.
How to clean a mousepad made of fabric or cloth? Don’t let the cleaning procedure makes you overwhelmed. Follow the simple methods below to get rid of dirt, oil, and grease from fabric pads:
- Soak the mouse mat in a sink or large basin containing warm water.
- Drip a small amount of dish soap onto the mat.
- Scrub the surface using a brush to remove stubborn grease, debris, and oil.
- Rinse thoroughly and let air dry.
A wrong washing method can cause a crumpled surface. This is undoubtedly not the result that we expect. Don’t scrub the surface vigorously and avoid wringing the cloth. Alternatively, hang the pad and let air dry.
Clean Neoprene mousepad
Neoprene is a type of fabric commonly used in mousepads. The synthetic rubber can manage a wide temperature range and is durable for prolonged use. It also requires low maintenance and easy cleaning procedure.
Neoprene fabric can be machine washed, but it is much recommended to hand wash your neoprene mousepad. Handwashing the fabric helps maintain its original form. Here are the steps to follow:
- Pour cool water in a large bucket.
- Soak the mousepad and drip a small amount of mild detergent.
- Avoid scrubbing the surface. You can use extra detergent to get rid of stubborn stains.
- Rinse well and let air dry.
Please note that you should avoid direct sunlight when drying this material. Hang dry to maintain the fabric condition.
Clean leather mousepad
Leather mousepad gives a premium feel and looks when using a computer. Unlike other leather products that require careful maintenance and treatment, leather mousepads are quite easy to clean. Believe it or not, you can use the same method as cleaning aluminum or hard plastic!
The only difference is that you can’t spray the mat surface directly. Follow the instructions below to keep your leather mousepad clean and smooth.
- Choose a store-bought cleaner to clean leather products.
- Spray the cleaner onto a microfiber cloth and wipe the pad surface.
- Spray more amount of cleaner for stubborn stains.
Some users soak their leather mousepads in water before using the cleaner. This can be performed, especially if you have some spare time.
Clean Hard Mousepad
Hard pads are the easiest to clean as well as to maintain. The pads are commonly made of sturdy materials such as aluminum and hard plastic with high tolerance to a variety of chemicals and cleaning procedures. The only thing it can’t tolerate is the washing machine.
In truth, cleaning hard mousepads can be done in several ways. But the easiest method is as follows:
- Spray household cleaner to the hard surface and wipe with a clean and dry microfiber cloth.
- Scrub gently to remove dirt, grime, or debris.
- Using another clean and dry cloth, wipe the surface to remove any moisture.
How To Clean Laptop Touchpad
When the sensitivity of your laptop touchpad decreases, it may be caused by debris and dirt buildup. And when it happens, you have to arrange a cleaning project right away. Though it looks simple, cleaning a touchpad can be tricky.
You have to be careful when cleaning the touchpad as the liquid can damage the laptop itself. Always wring the cloth and make sure to remove excess water before wiping the surface. Then, pay attention to the following instructions to clean your laptop touchpad.
- Turn off and unplug your laptop.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe down the surface of the touchpad.
- Take a cotton cloth, moisten with isopropyl alcohol and wipe the surface again. It helps remove oil and grease.
Be careful not to spill liquid onto the touchpad as it can damage the device. Only power on your laptop after the touchpad is completely dry.
Can You Wash A Mousepad?
Absolutely yes! Most mousepads are washable, even some of them are machine-washable. You can use warm or cold water, depending on the material. Adding a small amount of dish soap or mild detergent can help remove oil, grease, and grime from the pad surface.
After washing, avoid direct sunlight and let air dry. It helps maintain your mousepads’ condition. Especially for leather, you have to press the pad using books or something heavy to keep its flat shape. How to clean a mousepad is very simple. Just make sure to identify the material of your mouse mats so you can choose the best cleaning procedure. Happy cleaning!