Leather is one of the most famous products used to create a piece of clothing, such as a jacket. However, leather jackets are usually expensive and in need of extra care, as they cannot be cleaned by simply using a washing machine. Here, you can find the information about easy items you need to prepare and the steps on how to clean leather jacket.
The most simple kit you need to have before cleaning your leather jacket is a leather cleaner. It is easy to find in a store, especially where leather products are sold. It does not cost a lot as well to purchase since it only costs a few dollars which can last for a long time if used for a small amount at once.
Table of Contents
Do’s and Dont’s
To ensure that your expensive leather jacket can be worn for a long time, there are do’s and don’t’s you need to know.
- Do not throw your leather jacket in the washing machine.
It is the most basic knowledge people need to know to maintain the quality of their leather jackets. Cleaning leather jackets in washing machine can only cause the materials of the jackets flaked off.
- Do not use ammonia, bleach, or club soda.
Do not use ammonia or bleach to clean your leather jackets. Bleach and ammonia will dry out the texture of leather jackets. It will cause the leather to crack and become hard to fix. Also, the use of club soda to clean the leather jacket will also worsen the stains on the jacket.
- Do not use too much water.
Leather jackets also absorbs liquid. That’s why unlike the other daily clothing, the use of too much water to wash it should be avoided. It will cause stains to form and damage the outside look of the leather jackets. It should only be cleaned with soft material, as the surface can be scratched easily.
- Do use leather cleaner.
The safest way to maintain the quality of the leather of your jacket is just by using a leather cleaner that you can purchase easily. Do apply a small amount of leather cleaner into the soft towel and use it to clean the jacket. It is not necessary to rinse with clear water. You shall simply leave the leather jacket to dry for a few moments after cleaning it.
- Do dry the leather jacket.
After cleaning your jacket, it is also best to leave your leather jacket to dry in the quickest way possible, such as leaving it under natural sunlight or in a place that has good air ventilator area.
Cleaning Leather Jacket at Home
There are a few more solutions to answer the question of how to clean leather jacket at home. Aside from dish soap water and leather cleaners, you can use these few ingredients to remove the stains effectively from leather jackets. There are nail polish remover, toothpaste, vinegar, and baking soda.
Cleaning Leather Jacket with Toothpaste
The first ingredient you can use to remove the stains from your leather jackets is toothpaste. It is easy to use toothpaste to remove the stains and clean your leather jackets. All the things you need to prepare is a toothpaste and a soft cloth or towel that you’ve soaked in clear water. Remember to ensure the towel you are using is clean.
Then, follow these steps to clean your leather jackets.
- Initially, find any brand of toothpaste to remove the stains from your leather jacket. It is important to use a regular one, and not a gel toothpaste.
- Afterward, apply them to the stains gently without scrubbing, as it can damage the surface.
- When it completed, clean up the residue by using a soft damp towel.
Using Soap and Water
The easiest way to clean leather jacket is to use the mixture of soap and water. It is super easy to clean your leather jackets by using only soap and water.
- Firstly, you should pour one or two teaspoons of liquid dish soap into a glass of water. Then, just mix it.
- Afterwards, dip a soft cloth or sponge into the mixture and clean the leather jackets carefully.
Ensure to wipe off the soap residue with a damp towel and dry your jacket afterwards. Pat the leather jacket dry and it should be all cleaned up.
Cleaning Leather Jacket with Baking Soda
If your leather jackets are stained with oil or grease, you can use baking soda or corn starch to remove the stains off.
- First, all you need is to apply the baking soda or the corn starch to the stains that you want to remove.
- Be very careful to apply them gently, as you do not want to stain or scratch your leather jacket.
- Next, simply let the baking soda or corn starch sit there for a while. It may take a few hours for them to absorb the oil on the stains. It will be better to let them sit overnight to ensure they work perfectly.
- Once the stain is gone, clean up the residue with soft cloth or towel and let the jacket dry.
Clean Leather Jacket Lining
Aside from the outside, it is important to know how to clean leather jacket lining or the inside of your leather jacket. For polyester lining, just simply use a mixture of soap and water to clean them. Dip a sponge or soft cloth into the mixture and start cleaning the lining of the leather jacket.
- Turn the jackets inside out
Firstly, turn the leather jacket inside out to make it easier to clean, including the sleeves. Secondly, rub gently the damp soft cloth into the lining of the jacket.
- Clean thoroughly in specific areas
Pay attention mostly to armpits, collar, and underarms as those are the area most exposed to sweat.
- Rinse and dry the leather jackets
Lastly, rinse them off by using a damp soft cloth that has been dipped in clear water. After the soapy water residue has been cleaned, leave the leather jacket to dry. After they dry out, turn the leather jackets to the original shape and it can be worn as usual.
Leather is material that looks good to wear from the outside. However, it also needs extra care as it can absorb water easily and form a stain. Remove the stains as soon as possible to avoid permanent damage to your leather jacket. Do not forget to also clean the lining of your leather jacket thoroughly.