The worst part of having canvas shoes is you have to monitor their condition from time to time. Everybody knows that canvas shoes can catch dirt easily, but they aren’t suitable for regular washing in the washer. So, how to clean canvas shoes the right way?
This kind of shoes needs extra care and maintenance as they are made of glued fabric. While water exposure can seep out the sole, a dryer can shrink the material right away. Worry not, the right cleaning method will be revealed soon!
Table of Contents
Do’s and Don’ts
Cleaning canvas shoes is pretty tricky as you have several rules to follow. Following rules is vital to avoid unwanted things such as fading or shrinking fabric. Before starting the cleaning project, make sure you’ve learned the following do’s and don’ts.
Let’s begin with the dos of cleaning the shoes.
- Wipe off the dirt from the shoes with a soft scrubbing brush or wet towel.
- Use warm water when cleaning.
- Only use a mild cleaner to avoid damaged fabric.
- Remove the laces before cleaning.
Well, now you should know things to avoid when cleaning canvas shoes:
- Don’t use cleaner with harsh chemicals as it can damage the fabric.
- Do not dry the shoes in direct sunlight as it can fade the color.
- Don’t use the solvent cleaner as it potentially loosens the sole glue.
- Do not use the washing machine unless you know the material.
How to Clean Canvas Shoes at Home
You might be tempted to use a shoe laundry service to make your canvas shoes look good as new. The truth, you just spend pretty pennies on something you can do at home. Simply learn how to clean canvas shoes, and you can save a lot of money in the future.
When it comes to cleaning canvas shoes, some methods can be used to help you out. Luckily, these methods use kitchen supplies you can find at home. Here are easy shoe cleaning hacks you wish to know earlier!
Who would have thought that simple products like baking soda can be sturdy for canvas shoes cleaning? It can help remove stains on stainless steel appliances, but it also works well on your shoes. If you’ve never tried this method, it’s the right time to witness how amazing this kitchen supply can be.
Follow this instruction to take advantages from baking soda:
- First, make a baking soda paste. Mix a part of baking soda with a small amount of water, mix thoroughly until it forms a paste.
- Scrub the paste on stubborn stains using a soft toothbrush.
- Brush the fabric in one direction.
- Rinse with clean water.
Baking soda has been long known as a ready supply to clean a lot of stuff, including fabric. It helps loosen the stain, allowing you to scrub them off the fabric. Just be sure not to wash too hard as it can make your canvas shoes look frizzy.
If you think that toothpaste only works for teeth, think again! In case you don’t have baking soda, simply go to the bathroom and take your toothpaste. It works as great as baking soda paste in removing stain and cleaning sneakers sole.
A non-gel toothpaste helps make your shoes look new. All you need to prepare is a small toothpaste and an old toothbrush, and you’re ready to go! The following instructions should help you, so give it a try.
- Apply a small amount of toothpaste to the toothbrush.
- Gently brush into the dirty spots, including the soles.
- Leave for about 10 minutes, then wipe off with a damp cloth.
- If you see a stubborn stain, repeat the procedure.
Non-gel white toothpaste is a handy solution to keep your sneakers clean. If you’re not sure with shoe material, apply the paste on a hidden spot.
Having stubborn stains on your canvas sneakers? Oxiclean is a household cleaner you can always count on. This stain remover works well to get rid of stains without damaging the canvas material.
It’s effortless to clean your sneakers with OxiClean. You can use it alone or combine with other material such as mild detergent. If you have gathered all the materials, simply do the steps below:
- Pour warm water in a bowl.
- Squirt a small amount of detergent and OxiClean, stir.
- Dip your toothbrush into the solution and gently scrub the sneakers.
- Let them air dry.
Oxiclean is sufficient to remove any stains and dirty spots on your canvas shoes.
Good news, hydrogen peroxide is considered safe to clean canvas sneakers, especially white ones. Cleaning shoes with this material is more comfortable than you think, and more importantly, it’s incredibly useful!
Just follow these 4 easy steps to clean sneakers with hydrogen peroxide:
- Dilute hydrogen peroxide in a small amount of water.
- Dip a soft, old toothbrush into the solution and apply it onto the stains and dirty spots.
- Allow sitting for about 30 minutes.
- Wipe off the canvas with a damp towel.
When your white canvas sneakers look dull, bleach is the best material to make them look good as new. It’s probably not the safest, but it works effectively to get rid of spots, dirt, grime, and any other nasty stuff.
Looking for other types of shoes? Check this out.
An essential thing about bleach is that you need to dilute it very carefully. Don’t use too much bleach as it can damage the canvas. For the best result, follow the steps below:
- In a container, pour a generous amount of water.
- Add a small amount of bleach, mix thoroughly.
- Dip your old toothbrush in this solution and scrub gently.
- Rinse with warm water, let air dry.
Pay attention that using too much bleach can make your sneakers turn yellow.
Clean Canvas Shoes without Fading
Cleaning canvas sneakers over and over again will increase the risk of fading. But there are some tips to keep your colored canvas sneakers look as brilliant as new.
- Use gentle, non-bleaching cleaner.
- Don’t dry in direct sunlight.
- Don’t wash too often.
Apply water repellent to avoid grime.
Cleaning canvas shoes is no longer frustrating. Now that you know how to clean canvas shoes the right way keeping it clean and good-looking isn’t impossible!