Tiles can keep your bathroom look fresh and bright, but problem comes when mold and mildew builds up along the grout and tile surfaces, ruining the entire look of the bathroom. Don’t worry! Here, you’re about to know how to clean bathroom tiles the right way.
Cleaning bathroom tile may be the last thing you want to do, but it is crucial for your personal hygiene. Say no more, here are basic cleaning methods to keep your bathroom clean and bright.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Way to Clean Bathroom Tile
- 2 Basic Cleaning – Using Chemical
- 3 How to Clean Bathroom Tiles Naturally
- 4 How to Clean Bathroom Tiles Grouting
- 5 Maintaining Bathroom Tiles
Best Way to Clean Bathroom Tile
Talking about cleaning your bathroom tiles, it is a little bit hard to pick a specific cleaning method and claim it as the best one. Different Homeowners may have different procedures to clean their bathroom tiles, depending on materials they have.
However, there’s always one method that works well for most bathroom tiles. If you don’t want to choose material-specific cleaning, try the following cleaning procedure:
- Spray bathroom tiles with all-purpose cleaner.
- Turn on hot water shower and wait until it builds steam.
- Turn off water, leave the room and shut the door.
- Let the steam and cleaner to mix for around 20 minutes.
- Wipe the tiles with a clean cloth.
The combination of all-purpose cleaner and steam helps loosen mold and mildew, allowing you to wipe them off the tiles easily.
Basic Cleaning – Using Chemical
Working with chemical is fast and easy if you know how to do the right way. There’s a wide array of cleaning chemicals that work effectively to bring back the sparkle of your dirty bathroom tile. Check out the following chemical options!
How to Clean Bathroom Tiles with vinegar
If you are planning a basic cleaning, choose vinegar as your main gear. This home cleaner contains powerful cleaning ingredients that helps remove stains and grime buildup. Do the steps below:
- Mix equal amount of water and white vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution onto desired area.
- Wipe off with a clean cloth.
- You can also dab a towel in the solution and scrub the tile surface.
- Allow to dry or wipe dry.
Apply Lemon Juice to The Tile
As an excellent tile cleaner, lemon juice is pretty easy to find in the fridge. This natural home remedy works perfectly to clean tiles, thanks to the natural acidic properties it contains. If you want to go naturally, simply opt this method and do the following steps:
- Prepare a spray bottle, fill with lemon juice.
- Spray onto tiles, wipe clean with a sponge or damp cloth.
- Or, soak the sponge in lemon juice and wipe. Rinse off with clean water.
Not only does it clean the tiles, but it also makes your bathroom feel fresh.
Use Baking Soda Cleaner
Stubborn stain makes your cleaning chores more challenging, but baking soda makes everything easier as it contains powerful agent to remove stains from tiles and grouting. You can either make a baking soda paste or sprinkle the powder directly on stained areas.
- If you don’t have much time, simply coat the tile lightly with this powder.
- Wipe tiles with a cloth dabbed in lemon juice.
- Rinse with clean water.
Mix Water and Bleach to Clean Tile
When you have serious stains to handle, bleach-water solution can be an effective cleaning solution. Not only is it simple, but it also works quickly to loose stains so you can wipe them off the tiles. Check out the steps below:
- Combine one part of bleach and three parts of water in a spray bottle.
- Spray on the stained tiles, allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Rinse with a damp cloth.
Be careful when using bleach as it can cause skin irritation. Also, open doors and windows for better air circulation.
Bathroom Tile using Ammonia
Despite its disturbing smell, ammonia is an excellent cleaner for tile. This chemical is inexpensive and is available along with other commercial cleaners. Here is how to clean bathroom tiles with ammonia.
- Prepare a bucket and fill it with a gallon of water.
- Add a quarter cup of ammonia and mix well.
- Pour ammonia-water solution to a spray bottle.
- Spray affected area with the solution, wipe off with dry cloth.
How to Clean Bathroom Tiles Naturally
Chemical ingredients can be somehow harmful to our health. Besides, some chemicals are also harsh and potentially damage the tiles for prolonged use. If you want to avoid chemicals and work naturally, the following method is worth trying.
- Prepare coarse salt, damp cloth, and scrubbing brush.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe the affected area.
- Sprinkle salt onto desired area and scrub.
- Allow to sit overnight, wipe clean the surface.
Coarse salt helps loosen mold and mildew. The coarser the salt, the better it works for the surface. But be careful with grout.
How to Clean Bathroom Tiles Grouting
Tile grouting can harbor mold and mildew that make your whole bathroom look dingy. The good news is grout can be easily cleaned with home remedies, such as vinegar, baking soda, and even warm water. Here’s how to clean tile grout with baking soda paste and vinegar.
- Mix baking soda and water to create a paste.
- Apply the paste onto the grout lines. Spray with water-vinegar solution.
- Wait until it forms foam. When it stops foaming, scrub with a grout brush and rinse.
It is important to note that tile grout is porous. It is prone to stains, and yet it can’t tolerate vigorous scrubbing. Don’t use a stiff brush as it can scrape the grout.
Maintaining Bathroom Tiles
Cleaning bathroom tile isn’t enough to keep its sparkle. For everyday clean look, you need to know how to maintain the tiles. Not only does it keep the tiles bright, but it also gives you more time for the next deep cleaning project.
For bathroom tile maintenance, here are things to do:
- Do cleaning routine every day.
- Schedule deep cleaning once in a week.
- Don’t forget to clean tile grouting.
- If necessary, grout renewal can be opted.
- Avoid harsh chemicals that potentially damage tiles.
- Brush tile grouting with grout brush.
After knowing those the information above, dingy bathroom tiles shouldn’t make you frustrated again. Now that you know how to clean bathroom tiles the right way and it is the time to see a bright and sparkling bathroom one more time. Remember to choose bathroom cleaner wisely to avoid damaged tiles.