Wood cabinets can trap dirt and dust much faster than you think. Cleaning wood cabinets daily is important, so you don’t have to complain about hard cleaning chores due to debris and dirt buildup. Therefore, you need to know how to clean wood cabinets properly.
There are various effective ways that you can try to clean wood cabinets. You can choose between homemade and store-bought cleaners to help remove stains, grease, and dirt from the surface. Either way, you have to do the cleaning project with the heart.
Table of Contents
Cleaning Old Wood Cabinets
Your old wood cabinets need extra treatment, so it can last longer and become a family inheritance. But you shouldn’t be intimidated by the word ‘extra’ as it means you only need to choose the right cleaning method.
Whenever your old cabinets are greasy or grimy, here is the right method to make it look good as new:
- Mix a squirt of dish soap and hot water.
- Dampen a microfiber cloth or towel with the solution.
- Use the cloth to wipe off the grease and grime from the wood surface.
- Use clean water to rinse and wipe dry.
Make sure to use light pressure when cleaning the cabinet, otherwise you scratch the precious old wood.
Cleaning Painted Wood Cabinets
Dealing with painted wood is rather tricky. Wrong handling can cause the paint peeling or cracking. Nevertheless, it shouldn’t discourage you to keep the painted wood cabinet clean and well-maintained.
There are a few methods that can help you remove dirt, grease, and debris from the painted cabinet. One of the easiest methods is as follow:
- Wipe cabinets with a dry cloth to remove loose debris and dust.
- Dilute a small amount of vinegar in water.
- Dampen a microfiber cloth with the solution and wipe the cabinets.
Don’t use an abrasive cleaning pad as it can scratch the surface. If you see some stubborn stains, work with a baking soda paste to get rid of them off.
Cleaning Cherry Wood Cabinets
Rumor has it that cleaning the cherry wood cabinet is a difficult task. In fact, cleaning cherry wood is as simple as cleaning other types of wood. You can use store-bought or homemade cleaners, as long as they are made of mild ingredients.
Cherry wood furniture is attractive, so you need to handle it properly. Here is an effective cleaning method you can apply:
- Choose a cleaning solution, you can use oil soap from any brand that you like.
- Dilute the soap in a gallon of water.
- Dampen a cloth with the mixture and gently rub on the surface. Remove excess water from the cabinet.
- Let dry for 30 minutes.
Always remember not to pour the solution directly onto the surface. It causes the furniture to absorb water and damage the structure.
Cleaning wood cabinets regularly is important to keep it clean all the time. Besides, it prevents you from having a hard cleaning chore. Daily cleaning helps to remove debris and dust, so you won’t find any buildup on the surface.
A wide array of methods can be done for daily cleaning, ranging from dusting to wiping with a cleaner. Here, you will find out a cleaning method using orange oil cleaner.
- Spray orange oil cleaner to the wood cabinet.
- Wipe off with a damp cloth.
Cleaning wood cabinets daily is not enough to ensure its cleanliness. At least once in a month, deep cleaning is needed to ensure the whole part of your cabinet is clean and well-maintained. Check out the following methods to clean the wood furniture thoroughly.
Cleaning wood Cabinets with Vinegar
Vinegar is a natural cleaner that works well to keep the wood shiny. Especially for kitchen cabinet, vinegar is effective to disinfect the furniture.
This product is not only powerful but also easy and simple to do. Try out the following steps:
- Mix vinegar and salt until you have a paste.
- Scrub the stained area using a toothbrush.
- Rinse off and dry with a clean cloth.
Cleaning wood Cabinets with Ammonia
Ammonia, despite its horrible smell, it is powerful to clean your wood cabinets from grease. This method is quite simple and can be easily practiced at home. Do the following steps:
- Mix a part of ammonia with 4 parts of water.
- Spray on the cabinet and wipe with a dry cloth.
Oil Soaps for Cleaning Wood Cabinets
Another product you can use to clean a wood cabinet is oil soap. There’s a variety of brands you can find on the market, so make your choice wisely. After choosing the right cleaner, here are the steps to follow:
- Dilute oil soap and water.
- Spritz on the cabinet and wipe with a microfiber cloth.
- Let dry.
Cleaning your wood cabinet isn’t enough. The furniture will lose its shine over time, so you need to polish the surface to make it look just like new.
Choosing the right furniture polish can be tricky as the market is flooded with this product. For the best result, avoid choosing a polish with silicon as it will make the furniture look dull. Right after making a decision, do these steps to polish the cabinet:
- Make sure the cabinet is clean.
- Apply the polish to a clean and dry microfiber cloth. You can also spray directly into the furniture but mind the distance.
- Use the cloth to wipe the surface. Rub with circle movement,
- Wipe the area with another dry, clean cloth to emphasize its sheen.
When Should You Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets
Ideally, your wood cabinets need to be cleaned daily. Especially for kitchen cabinets, since daily cleaning helps prevent grease and grime buildup. The best time to clean the furniture is in the morning after using the kitchen or at night.
But you can also schedule the cleaning for once in a week, especially for a cabinet that isn’t accessed quite often. For the deep cleaning, it can be scheduled for once in a month.
Cleaning wood cabinets should be part of your regular chores. While regular cleaning helps prevent dust and grease buildup, deep cleaning ensures the entire cabinet is well-maintained. By knowing this information, you won’t have hard cleaning chores.